Friday, December 30, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes - It's What's For Breakfast

Buttermilk pancakes. What’s not to like, right?  I mean, haven’t we all, at one time or another, under the influence of something or other, hopped into the car (with a designated driver, of course!) and headed to our local IHOP or Denny’s or wherever for a stack of these tasty treats?  I know I have – but that was many moons ago, and at this point in my life, I’ll probably never enter an IHOP or a Denny’s again, unless under extreme duress. Or with a designated driver.

So…that means when I want buttermilk pancakes, I gotta do what they did back in the old days, and make ‘em myself.  But there’s usually a small problem when I want to make buttermilk pancakes, and that’s that I don’t generally have buttermilk in the fridge.  I also don’t want to go shopping before eating breakfast…not gonna happen. What to do?

Enter this stuff, which I found at my local favorite store that everyone loves to not like…
Yep - buttermilk powder – and all you add is water!  Works great. Also, it keeps for a long freaking time; this container has a “USE BY” date of sometime in 2015, so figure it’s as healthy as a Twinkie, right?  Anyway, whip up your favorite buttermilk pancake batter, follow the directions on the package, make sure your griddle is the proper temperature and ladle the batter on. When they look like this, turn them…
When they look like this on both sides, they’re done…
And, use the good stuff to top ‘em. If you’re using Log Cabin, stop reading this damn blog, fools…
Happy New Year from Significant Eater and me.

3 comments:

  1. haven't had a stack in freekin' years! I'm about ready if you're doing the flippin'
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to get me some of that stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish! I add lemon juice to clabber the milk in my pancakes and pretend it's buttermilk.
    Christine208

    ReplyDelete